ASTRONAUT ED LU TO MEET TWO BRITISH SCHOOLS AUGUST 6 AND AUGUST 8
Two schools in the UK are actively preparing an ARISS School Contact. Amateur radio stations have been set up in the schools for these exclusive Space talks.
As usually, interested parties are invited to listen to the downlink signals from NA1SS, operated by astronaut Ed Lu, KC5WKJ.
The downlink frequency is 145.800MHz. The FM signals will be readable all over Europe for most of the 10 minutes pass.
Each school has prepared twenty questions, but the number of questions that will be handled depends on several factors such as the quality of the radio link and the length of Ed Lu's answers.
The questions will be submitted by the students in numbered sequence.
Wednesday August 6, 2003 at 16:47 UTC
1. My name is Rebecca. What do you do in the space craft? OVER
2. My name is Lois. What do you enjoy most about being an astronaut? OVER
3. My name is Victoria. What is the strangest thing you have seen in space? OVER
4. My name is Connor. What is it like when you blast up to space? OVER
5. My name is Matthew. How do you know what time it is? OVER
6. My name is Gabriella. What do you do in your spare time? OVER
7. My name is Antonia. Have you ever been ill in space? If so, how do you deal with it? OVER
8. My name is Marcus. How do you get all the water you need and do you recycle it? OVER
9. My name is Jamie. What training do you need to be an astronaut? OVER
10. My name is Alex. How do you get your electricity? OVER
11. My name is Rosie. Can you see our school through the window. OVER
12. My name is Tom. Do you have problems with meteorites crashing into the ISS and how do you deal with them? OVER
14. My name is Alex. Can you have a shower on the ISS? OVER
15. My name is Jamie. How does it feel when you re-enter earth? OVER
16. My name is Ryan. How long will it take you to build the ISS? OVER
17.My name is Kirsty. How can you tell when it is night or day? OVER
18.My name is Michael. What were the reasons for building the ISS? OVER
19. My name is Oscar. How long will it take you to build the ISS? OVER
20. My name is Lucy. When do you think man will get to MARS? OVER
Friday August 8, 2003 at 16:26 UTC
1. My name is Kapil. If you have been in space for a long time and you return home, would you find it easy to get used to gravity? OVER
2. My name is Amal. How do you eat in space?OVER
3. My name is Lucy. What sort of food do you eat? If it's all pre-packaged doesn't it get boring? OVER
4. My name is Fatema. When you're in space you eat out of a tube, but what do you do so that it fits into the tube? OVER
5. My name is Nirali. How would you retrieve your equipment if you lost it in space? How do you avoid getting hit by it if you cannot get it back? OVER
6. My name is Rajan. What is dailly life like? For example how do you use water on the space station? How do you go to the toilet? OVER
7. My name is Bhvta. What man made features can you see from where you are ? OVER
8. My name is Nimesh. What jobs do you do at present on the space station ? OVER
9. My name is Richard. Does having no gravity put you at an advantage or disadvantage when doing everyday things and why? OVER
10 My name is Reid. How do you get by simple daily tasks in space such as preparing meals washing and using toiletries? OVER
11. My name is Thomas. What is it like being away from your family for so long? OVER
12. My name is Danny. What training is required to be an astronaut? OVER
13. My name is Delraj. Have you ever encountered any unexpected obstacles in space? OVER
14. My name is Arti. How do you avoid debris in space? OVER
15. My name is Dhara. When you first got onto the space station what went through your head and what did you feel when you saw the view ? OVER
16. My name is Zoe. How do you cope being so far away from your family for so long? OVER
17. My name is Aftab. What do you like most about being an astronaut ? OVER
18. My name is Seema. How long did it take you to be trained as an astronaut? OVER
19. My name is Kulveer. What is it like to be in space? OVER
20. My name is Manpreet. Do you ever wonder what it would be like if you had a different carreer? OVER
Please be aware that the times are given in UTC. In UK, local time is UTC + 1. In continental Europe, local time is UTC + 2.
Gaston Bertels, ON4WF